Move over boring salads…this pesto grilled chicken avocado salad is here and will become your new favourite meal-in-a-salad!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice,(adjust to your tastes)
- 1-2 tablespoons water, (optional -- for a thinner consistency)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (or chicken breasts) - get yours here.
- 4 cups Romaine, or Cos lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 cup grape (or cherry) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 2 tablespoons extra pesto, to serve
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or parsley, to garnish
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a large jug. Pour out half of the dressing into a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate the remaining UNTOUCHED marinade to use as a dressing later.
- Add the chicken to the marinade in the bowl; marinade chicken for 15-30 minutes (or up to two hours in the refrigerator if time allows). While waiting for the chicken, prepare all of the salad ingredients and mix in a large salad bowl.
- Once chicken is ready, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or a grill plate over medium-high heat. Grill chicken on both sides until browned and completely cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes; slice and arrange over salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining UNTOUCHED dressing. Serve with lemon wedges, extra basil pesto AND chopped basil or parsley, to garnish.