December 01, 2019Fitness Cooking
Pesto Grilled Chicken Avocado Salad
Move over boring salads…this pesto grilled chicken avocado salad is here and will become your new favourite meal-in-a-salad!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice,(adjust to your tastes)
- 1-2 tablespoons water, (optional -- for a thinner consistency)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (or chicken breasts) - get yours here.
- 4 cups Romaine, or Cos lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 cup grape (or cherry) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 2 tablespoons extra pesto, to serve
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or parsley, to garnish
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a large jug. Pour out half of the dressing into a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate the remaining UNTOUCHED marinade to use as a dressing later.
- Add the chicken to the marinade in the bowl; marinade chicken for 15-30 minutes (or up to two hours in the refrigerator if time allows). While waiting for the chicken, prepare all of the salad ingredients and mix in a large salad bowl.
- Once chicken is ready, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or a grill plate over medium-high heat. Grill chicken on both sides until browned and completely cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes; slice and arrange over salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining UNTOUCHED dressing. Serve with lemon wedges, extra basil pesto AND chopped basil or parsley, to garnish.
We recommend adding a couple tablespoons of oil to the extra pesto when serving your salad, before tossing! This of course depends on the thickness of your pesto. We like ours runnier for easier drizzling. You could also mix it with water to cut down on fat or calories, if you wish!
Amount Per Serving (360 g)
Calories 346 Calories
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31g 48%
Saturated Fat 6g 30%
Cholesterol 17mg 6%
Sodium 944mg 39%
Potassium 601mg 17%
Total Carbohydrates 11g 4%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 6g 12%