Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Allergens: Mustard, sulphur dioxide, white wine
(This dish is gluten free provided the selected brand of honey mustard dressing is gluten free)
For the meat:
- Corned beef (1 kg)
- Cloves (10 whole)
- Brown sugar (2 tbps, 15 g)
For the vegetables:
- Cabbage, sliced (1 large head, 150 g)
- Carrot, grated (2 large, 200 g)
- Baby potatoes (several, 200 g)
A quintessentially Irish dish for any occasion. Baking the corned beef with a honey mustard glaze adds a sweet and tangy flavour to the meat, a perfect counterpoint to the natural flavours of the boiled vegetables.
- Reduce the salt content of the corned beef in advance of baking by placing fat side up in a large pot and covering with water. Bring to the boil, discard the water, add fresh water bring to the boil again, and discard the water once again.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Place the corned beef fat side up on a large sheet of aluminum foil in a shallow roasting tray. Insert the cloves into the top of the corned beef, spacing evenly. Spread the top with the honey mustard dressing (keep a little in reserve) and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Wrap the corned beef in the foil to form a package, ensuring to maintain a little space between the top of the meat and the foil. Bake for 2 hours.
- Open the foil wrapping, spread the remaining honey mustard dressing over the top of the meat and broil for 2 – 3 minutes, until the top is bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a large saucepan, bring a small amount of water to the boil and add the chopped vegetables. Simmer until all the vegetables are cooked through (10 – 15 minutes).
- Place the corned beef on a chopping board and remove the cloves. Determine the direction of the grain of the meat by examining the underside, then cut the meat at a diagonal, across the grain of the meat, into ½ inch thick slices.
- Serve immediately with the vegetables, pouring a little of the meat juices all over.