Easy-Peasy Chicken Stir Fry
For the stir fry:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 heaping cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced bell pepper
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 3/4 cup roasted salted cashews
- 1 cup edamame
- Sliced green onions, optional for garnish
For the sauce:
- 1(8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in pineapple juice, not drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (sub tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice (sugar, honey, stevia)
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional, for thickness)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
Stir fry is a takeout favourite. But why not make your own? They’re super easy to make, and you get to control how high in nutrients yours is. This one of ours delivers 35g of protein and a whopping 43g of carbs.
To get started, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over a medium heat, preferably in a skillet. Once it’s nice and hot, throw in the chopped chicken. Fry until golden brown and remove from pan. Ensure it is cooked throughout.
Now throw in a bit more oil. Once hot you can toss in a diced onion and sauté for 5 mins. Then, add 3 minced garlic cloves and a tbsp of minced ginger, sautéing for three mins. Then add a sliced bell pepper, two cups of shredded carrots, a cupful of broccoli florets and half a cup of snap peas (sugary ones are the best). Keep sautéing for another seven mins.
Once your vegetables are nice and tender, add a half cup of cashews, two cups of quinoa and a cup of soy beans. Now throw the chicken back into the pan. Keep on going until everything is heated and ready to eat. Then, drizzle over a (healthy) sauce of your choice.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Per serving: Calories: 311; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 442mg; Carbohydrate: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 35g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 444mg; Iron: 17%; Vitamin A: 161%; Vitamin C: 143%; Calcium: 6%